Monday, June 18, 2012

Guest Post by Melissa Lawler ~What products contain gluten?



What products contain gluten? Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Check the labels the next time you are out shopping. Wheat is in almost everything! My daughter was diagnosed with a gluten allergy in 2010 and we have been avid label readers since then.

If you only have one family member that is gluten free and you want to mix regular foods and gluten free foods in the same household, my advice is don't do it. It is so easy to glutaminate (contaminate with gluten)  your gluten free foods. Even the cleanest of kitchens is at risk for glutamination from a mixed household. We once tried a four slice toaster. One side for Ryan and one side for me. That was not a good idea. Ryan got sick.

Our gluten free journey has been an exciting one. I make almost everything from scratch. I am always on the lookout for new gluten free products. If I find one I like I am a fan for life. I like a product that is versatile. 

Chebe is one of my favorite gluten free brands. Chebe has a line of gluten free bread mixes that not only taste great, but they are also extremely versatile. We make everything from hamburger and hot dog buns to calzone with them.

There are some awesome resources out there for those who are living the gluten free lifestyle. 

GFree Connect offers an affordable subscription plan to try new products as well as a list of great gluten free web sites.

Gluten Free on a Shoestring offers delicious gluten free recipes using Better Batter (a gluten free flour blend). Most of these recipes are better than their gluten filled counterparts!

Elana's Pantry has recipes that are not only gluten free but also grain free. Delicious!

There is also my blog! The Kids are Grown, Now What? I offer gluten free product reviews, recipes and giveaways! Stop by and say hi. Let me know if you have any questions. I have been there and done that and I am happy to help!


Shoe Dazzle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by whether this is your first time to visit the blog, Welcome! If you have visited before, thank you for stopping by!