Monday, June 11, 2012

Guest Post Erin Slocum Homemade Backed Beans

I have asked Erin to share her recipe with my readers, she is an avid blogger, she has a sweet family of 8 na home schools her kids. They are a gluten free family, which she says is sometimes a challenge. They have goats they milk twice a day, they raise sheep for both meat and their woo, they have chickens so their eggs are free range and they raise quarter horses.

If you would like to get to know her better you can visit her blog:

Homemade Baked Beans-from scratch

Baked beans from a can are expensive.  My family loves baked beans so I knew I had to come up with a way to make my own baked beans that was cheaper.  This is what I've come up with.

Buy a bag of dry pinto beans.  Soak them overnight in a pan of water.  Remove any beans that float.  Drain the water off the beans.  Put fresh water with the beans and cook until the beans are tender.  Drain off the water.  Place beans in large bowl.  Add bacon pieces, one chopped onion, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 4 oz of tomato sauce and one bottle of barbecue sauce.  Mix all together well.  Place in baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Enjoy!

We love these and they are much cheaper than buying off the shelf.  Depending on the size of bag of dried beans you may need more or less of the tomato sauce.  I like to use more barbecue sauce than tomato sauce because we like the flavor better.  I just use the original flavor barbecue sauce since I add the brown sugar and bacon to my beans.

The beans as part of our lunch today.

Shoe Dazzle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by whether this is your first time to visit the blog, Welcome! If you have visited before, thank you for stopping by!