Thursday, January 24, 2013

A New Food Experience~Dim Sum


I have to share this past weekend. We have a Taiwanese friend of many years and he recently came to visit us, which we always enjoy. When he comes he always brings presents which is a traditional custom which we also enjoy. This visit was especially fun because he took us to China Town here in Las Vegas for lunch and he graciously treated us to "Dim Sum", now if you don't know what Dim Sum cuisine, I will share with you.

Dim Sum is only served in traditional Chinese and Taiwanese restaurants, so he found out which one before we went. And I have the help of Wikipedia so here we go:

A traditional dim sum brunch includes various types of steamed buns such as cha siu baaudumplings and rice noodle rolls (cheong fun), which contain a range ofingredients, including beef, chicken, pork, prawns and vegetarian options. Many dim sum restaurants also offer plates of steamed green vegetables, roasted meats, congee porridge and other soups. Dessert dim sum is also available and many places offer the customary egg tart.
Dim sum can be cooked by steaming and frying, among other methods. The serving sizes are usually small and normally served as three or four pieces in one dish. It is customary to order family style, sharing dishes among all members of the dining party. Because of the small portions, people can try a wide variety of food. I also included a video that shows you easy ways to make some of the dumplings
These are a few of the things he choose for us
Lo mai gai wrapped in lotus leaf
This is a pack of jasmine rice and takes on the 

flavor of the lotus leaf. It looked just like the picture.
And I really enjoyed this.
Dim-sum dumpling in Chicago
My husband and son ate these and they have a shrimp
 inside a rice wrapper.
Serving dim sum in a restaurant inHong Kong
This is similar to how things are served, they push carts around the room and you choose what foods you want. Our friend took care of that for us.  Almost all dim sum are dumplings, made with different ingredients, some meat like pork, chicken, shrimp and vegetable and could be vegetarian. They also serve steamed vegetables, like 

And there is an entire list of all dim Sum on Wikipedia Here They are all in little metal containers, stacked on top for serving directly to the table. You only eat from small plates and just one item at a time. Some things I did not care for, but I was feeling adventurist and I did not want to offend our friend. But hes cool and understands me.


If you have a few minutes I found a Video on YouTube that is fun to watch 
how they make Dim Sum Dumplings Here 

Ok now the present that our friend Rex brought was some great tea. It is called Rolled Oolong Tea and
it used to be this tea was hand rolled, but it is done with machines now, can you imagine. There are other teas called flowering teas that are hand rolled and assembled to simulate a flower after steeping in water. I would love to try those. I found interesting pictures when I Goggled "flowering Tea"!
And we just found out there is a possibility that we will be going to China in March
on business and this will be the greatest adventure and trip of my life. My husband has
already been there several times. So I will write a journal and take pictures and shop and share my treasures when I go. Hope this is for real..........

Thanks for reading 

Stop On By The Wordless Wednesday That is Still Open Thursday And I will visit you




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by whether this is your first time to visit the blog, Welcome! If you have visited before, thank you for stopping by!