Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Dutch Oven Fajitas with Printable Copy

I decided the other night that I wanted to make fajitas and I wanted to use my crock pot but when I checked my recipe time, I thought about using my dutch oven. You cant believe the difference in time it takes to cook in a crock-pot verses a dutch oven. I know when I used to work out of my home that I started my dinner early in the morning and came home to a delicious meal.  

Well that not being the case I needed my fajitas to cook faster 
and I didnt want to stand at the stove, I like 1 pan meals. 

Oh and the time difference is 3-5 hours verses 25- 40 minutes.  
Now if you wanted to use this recipe and you don't have a dutch oven you still can in a 
crock-pot and let them cook on high for 3-5 hours until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
So here is how my recipe goes:

Dutch Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
12" dutch oven

2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
2 medium onion, sliced
I used the one with a mix of red, yellow and green peppers cleaned and sliced (you can use 1 package of mixed frozen peppers)
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. chili powder
2 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Warmed flour tortillas

In a 12" dutch oven, I layered the vegetables, then added the chicken. In a small bowl mix and
combine the oil and spices.  Drizzle the mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Then I added tomatoes, chilies and peppers.    Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.  

Serving Idea:
I serve fresh diced tomatoes, onions, sour cream, grated cheese and your favorite salsa, our fav is Picante Brand and serve on warm soft tortillas either white or wheat. I warm them in a potato bag like these oh and of course they are great for potatoes and corn.
Kitch n Stitch Etsy Shop 
I like the idea of using my own spices as with a mix (which I used to use) they are usually high in sodium. 

My recipes was adapted from the Dutch Madness Blog

What recipe would you like to see?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by whether this is your first time to visit the blog, Welcome! If you have visited before, thank you for stopping by!