Thursday, December 20, 2012

Traditional Cherry Slice Cookie Bar Recipe



My Traditional Family Recipe; Cherry Slice Bars

TIP:  I use an extra long piece foil to cover a 13 x 9 pan, turn pan upside down
to form another pan,( dull side up ) then insert this into the baking pan leaving the ends to use as a handle. This will act like a liner and when bars are completely cool, ( I place in fridge ) after bars are completely cooled, use the extra length to lift the bars out of the pan ( before icing ) and peel the foil away from the edge of cookies. I then cut the bars with a long knife into squares, then drizzle icing, making them individual bars.

1st Layer-Cookie Crust:
1 cup flour
1 cube butter
2 Tbsp powder sugar
Mix this until ingredients are crumbly, press in 9x13 pan bake ONLY 12 minutes 375

2nd Layer
In small bowl mix ingredients well
1 cup sliced maraschino cherries (reserve juice from cherries)
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of sale
1 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
Mix together and spread over crust, bake 25 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool

Icing:
1 cup powder sugar
1/2 Tbsp. milk
3/4 tsp. reserved cherry 
Mix together milk, ½ teaspoon almond extract and powdered sugar.

Whisk together until there are no more lumps. I spoon the icing into a zip lock bag, snip a tiny hole in corner and drizzle over the cooled bars.
Cut into 1 ½ inch squares and serve.

You can freeze these without the icing.

I have made this adapted version of cherry bars which I always called Cherry Slice from a recipe that used candied fruit, and I reduced the granulated sugar using powered sugar in the crust instead.

When my kids were teens, they all had to have their own pan of Cherry Slice!

This has become a holiday tradition and I have only made this during Thanksgiving and Christmas, with an occasion to take for a desert to friends house.

Hint: These are best when made the day before you want to serve.

2 comments:

  1. You gave away your best recipe. Now everybody knows. Rick Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant believe that you stopped by my blog, I am tickled pink and recipes are for sharing. THanks for stopping by, Happy New Year Bro!!! Hugs

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by whether this is your first time to visit the blog, Welcome! If you have visited before, thank you for stopping by!